Armchair Travel


I love to travel – and I love to read about other countries. Here are some of the (mostly online) resources I’ve used in preparing for my trip to Spain in May.

Magazine
Wanderlust magazine is a British travel magazine “for people with a passion for travel.” It’s a large-format magazine with lots of photographs. The ads are fascinating because they are for English companies, which aren’t as well known in North America – ethical hiking in the Sinai, snowmobile safaris in Russia and tours with the Royal Horticultural Society.

Wanderlust’s website has a large archive of articles and a job shop. Their companion website, wander.com, is a spot for travellers to share their experiences.

Books
Longitude Books has a great selection of travel books. You can sign up for their monthly newsletter or purchase books online.

Newspapers
I’ve signed up for the RSS feed for the New York Times travel articles. You can also review their archives of articles for specific countries.

The Telegraph's online travel section has a good travel books section.

The International Herald Tribune has a blog called Globespotters providing “urban advice from reporters who live there.” You can check out all the postings or just look at the ones for a particular city.

Blogs
Speaking of blogs, they’re a great way to find out about life in a particular country or city. I’ve bookmarked a collection of Mexican blogs to help me plan my next trip to Mexico. (My thanks to blogger, Up on Haliburton Hill, for the recommendation.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux