Spanish Breakfasts

I enjoyed two traditional breakfasts while I was in Spain.

Churros y Chocolate
I went out early one Sunday morning in Jumilla and stumbled on a busy churreria (“doughnut shop”) on Calle Levante, across from the market.


Spanish doughnuts are wonderful when they are delivered hot from the fryer, and they’re perfect for dipping in Spanish hot chocolate (very thick – like warm chocolate pudding). Along with a large glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice, it was a perfect start to my day.

Tostadas
Churros are a weekend treat in Spain. Tostadas are for every day. They are usually a sliced and toasted baguette, served with a generous drizzle of olive oil and a dash of salt.

There are variations on the topping though. In Andalucia, the tostadas are often served with fresh tomato sauce. And this is similar to what I was served at Bar Pinotxo in La Boqueria Market, Barcelona.


I ordered hot chocolate and received hot chocolate milk in a bottle. It was okay, but not what I expected.

The tostada, on the other hand, was wonderful. The slice of crusty white bread was grilled and olive oil was drizzled on top. Then the server selected a small, ripe tomato, sliced it in half and rubbed it on the tostada. He finished it off with a sprinkling of freshly-ground salt and cut it into slices using a pair of scissors.


It was a simple but effective way to showcase top-quality ingredients and something that I will try and imitate at home.

Gourmand Breaks: My thanks to Yvonne Davenport-Raby of Gourmand Breaks for suggesting that I visit Bar Pinotxo. Gourmand Breaks is a Spanish travel agency specializing in food, wine and cultural tours. I visited several spots that they include on their tours (including a very high-class chocolate store – Cacao Sampaka). None of these places are easy to find on your own, so a tour can save you considerable time and trouble.

Comments

Stephanie V said…
Tostadas - so simple yet tasty. I'll pass that on to Anne.

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Au PĆ©trin Moissagais, Bordeaux