Flavourful Saskatoon, September 2, 2013

 
That Tastes Good! 
Join me at 7 pm on Tuesday, September 17, at the Frances Morrison Library where I am giving a presentation entitled That tastes good! Good for me, good for my community and good for the earth: Tips to help you and your family support sustainable food production and consumption.

The presentation is part of the Saskatchewan Environmental Society’s Library Speaker Series. There will be a display of books and a tasting organized by Slow Food Saskatoon.

Cute Green Cupcake
Isn’t this adorable! Floating Gardens is considering introducing cress in the fall and gave me a sample to try. Following the British tradition, I enjoyed an open-face cress sandwich. I was expecting a stronger peppery/mustard flavour; instead, it was crisp and fresh with a pleasant tang and was a good complement to the whole wheat bread and butter.

Cress is also known as Pepper Grass or Poor Man’s Pepper. It’s high in Vitamins A and C.

New Ethiopian Restaurant 
I’m sorry to hear that the Istanbul Diner is closing but excited to hear that the spot will soon be occupied by an Ethiopian restaurant. The owner also has an Ethiopian restaurant in Edmonton.

Saskatoon Farmers’ Market 
I just learned that the Little Market Store will be closing within the next couple of weeks. Once they close, honey, eggs and Three Farmers camelina oil will be available at The Prairie Pantry.

I stopped in at The Prairie Pantry today and came away with two fresh salads, spices and chocolate - a good complement to the fresh fruit and vegetables that I purchased.

The Market is looking for a new full-time tenant for the space currently occupied by the Little Market Store.

Bliss
My sister in law, aka the intrepid roving reporter, eats out far more often than I do. I was pleased to learn that Bliss restaurant on Broadway has a number of vegetarian lunch options.

Shelley had a falafel sandwich with carrot vanilla soup, and she says that all the salads looked amazing. Desserts included peanut butter cheesecake and white chocolate raspberry crème brulée.

The evening menu includes a vegetarian entrée (Vegetarian Napoleon) and several vegetarian appetizers.

Local Vegetables
Prairie Fresh Food Corporation, a group of 16 Saskatchewan vegetable producers, has banded together to sell local vegetables in local grocery stores. The producers, who include Spring Creek Market and the Dinsmore Hutterite Colony, are selling their produce to all the Saskatchewan Co-op stores.

Quebec Cheese 
A friend shared some cheese from Quebec with me last weekend. It was so tasty. La Station de Comptoir is located in Compton. They have 50 Holstein cows, and the property includes 2500 maple trees in addition to organic pastures.

Online Canadian Food & Wine 
I just discovered Foodie Pages. They ship a wide assortment of Canadian gourmet foods and wine from small Canadian wineries (I highly recommend both Blue Mountain and Eau Vivre). They have some fascinating products like a Feta Cheese Kit. Caramoomel Vegetable Antipasto (so good – I bought some in BC) and Carrot Crisps with Chia, Hemp & Flax.

You can buy a monthly subscription for a box of goodies chosen by a top Canadian chef or order individual items.

Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post regular profiles of culinary entrepreneurs, new restaurants and new food products.

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux