Flavourful Saskatoon, November 18, 2013

Edible City, Nov. 21
Slow Food Saskatoon and the Saskatchewan Eco Network are showing the movie Edible City: Grow the Revolution at the Frances Morrison Public Library at 7 pm, November 21. Edible City profiles a diverse group of people who are challenging the status quo food system through edible education, grassroots activism and building local economies.

Christmas at the Marr, Dec. 3 & 4 
Actor John Huston will perform A Christmas Carol at 7:30 pm, December 3 and 4, at the Marr Residence (326 11th Street East). The performance will be followed by dessert and musical entertainment. Tickets are $15 and available by calling 652-1201.

The Prairie Pantry 
I’m of an age where I don’t need any more “stuff,” but I’ll always welcome gifts of food and wine, especially ones purchased and/or made by local entrepreneurs. I attended The Prairie Pantry’s Customer Appreciation Event at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market last week, and they have brought in lots of tasty new items for Christmas.


Riverbend Plantation has a four-jar sampler – I really liked the Cherry Salsa (zippy!) and the Mango Saskatoon Sauce (milder, really fruity).


I’m definitely ready to buy local mustard – after all, we grow most of the world’s supply of mustard seed right here in Saskatchewan – and I particularly like Gravelbourg Mustard’s Saskatoon Berry (very mild and fruity) and Cranberry (stronger) flavours.


Do check out the jars of spices – powdered lemongrass, fire-roasted garlic, Vietnamese cinnamon, truffle salt, dill pollen.


And there are some delectable looking chocolates as well as mixes in wonderful Christmas packaging (I sampled the Cinnamon Swirl Muffins, and they’re really good – I kept going back for more).


Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post regular profiles of culinary entrepreneurs, new restaurants and new food products.

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Sarah said…
I am surprised you don't have some mention of the opening of Ayden. I know you are vegetarian but it is newsworthy and I am sure they will have delightful vegetarian options.

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan