Flavourful Regina, May 12, 2014

My mini holiday in Regina was so much fun that I can’t possibly include everything in one article. So here is an assortment of food highlights. Later in the week I’ll profile the Regina Farmers’ Market and Lumsden.

Hotel Saskatchewan
With an elegant room like this at the Hotel Saskatchewan, I wasn’t tempted to venture far afield. I had an excellent vegetarian lasagna in the hotel dining room and enjoyed a bowl of soup in the Lounge. The servers in the restaurant specifically mention that they use as many local products as possible. I appreciated the amuse bouche as I waited for my meal.


Koko Patisserie 
As you would expect, Koko Patisserie, with an outlet in the Hotel Saskatchewan lobby, has some lovely baked goods. But you might not know that they also sell some very fancy sandwiches. I enjoyed the chopped egg and asparagus croissant so much that I had it twice! But act fast – they don’t make many sandwiches and they sell out well before lunchtime.


13th Avenue Coffee House
I always enjoy browsing in the craft stores and independent stores along 13th Avenue. I’ve always wanted to eat at the 13th Avenue Coffee House so I made a point of being there at lunch time. They have lots and lots of vegetarian options – such a treat to have a choice. There are about 6 different veggie burger options as well as rice bowls and curries.


Salt Food Boutique 
Salt Food Boutique is a little off-putting if you are a vegetarian as they sell tons of charcuterie. However, they also have some interesting preserves – housemade relish and catsup, turnip sauerkraut, fig relish. I picked up jars of pickled okra and pickled beets as well as a bag of salted caramels (oh, so good!).


Atlantis Coffee
I spent more than a few happy hours in Atlantis Coffee, drinking Mighty Leaf tea and reading. Many of their baked goods are from Fourth & James Bakery in Lumsden that I’ll be telling you more about later in the week.

Atlantis is next door to Salt Boutique and around the corner is Flip Restaurant, and I believe they all have the same owner.

Cookies by George
No trip to Regina is complete without a quick trip to the Cornwall Centre to pick up some Cookies by George. What can I say? I love chocolate!

Globe Theatre
Theatre in the round at Regina's Globe Theatre is a very intimate experience as you’re so close to the actors and the other members of the audience. I really enjoyed the performance of Man of La Mancha and have happy memories of our high school choir performing some of the songs at a big city-wide event at the Centennial Auditorium.

Ants?
Right across the street from the Hotel Saskatchewan is Victoria Park – another pleasant place to read a good book. And you never know what you might find . . . .


Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post regular profiles of culinary entrepreneurs, new restaurants and new food products.

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan