Mountain Mercato, Canmore

“I don’t design clothes, I design dreams.” Ralph Lauren 

Mountain Mercato Specialty Food Market in Canmore, Alberta, is an absolutely fabulous store. I wandered up and down the aisles, intrigued by all the different products. But as I looked, I began to wonder. Was I excited about the products – or their packaging?


Is olive oil in a fancy pottery container or box more interesting than olive oil in a glass bottle?


Is bottled water more desirable in a fancy container?


Do I want to taste these biscuits, or just admire the butterflies and flowers?


I definitely covet these Italian tins more than I want to munch on the biscuits.


Is salt in a blue pottery container from Ibiza more flavourful than ordinary table salt?


Will maple syrup taste better when it's poured from a wine bottle?


I would have loved to purchase a jar of ice cream. It looked homemade rather than the product of a factory production line. Of course, they made sure I thought that way by labelling it as "homemade ice cream."


Am I more likely to buy a chocolate bar with a French name and a picture of a pig or one that is unusually tall and narrow? Will people think I'm a "smooth operator" if I eat the bar with that name?


Is it the name that intrigues me and makes me want to buy One Mean Mustard or a Knickerbocker Glory chocolate bar?








If you’re in Canmore, be sure to visit Mountain Mercato. And let me know what you purchased – the product or the package?

For more of my ideas on marketing food and drink, check out my Slideshare presentation on Seasoning Your Brand of Food and Wine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux