Super Fresh Asian Market

“I love the new Asian Market,” says Sheri Imbach. “It reminds me of being back home in Vancouver, BC!” 


The first thing I noticed when I walked into the Super Fresh Asian Market on the corner of Clarence Avenue and 12th Street E. was the bilingual signage – and a very small section dedicated to “Canadian” food. The rest of the store holds Chinese specialties and standbys. It’s not just canned goods and packages either. There’s an in-store bakery, butcher, and Chinese pharmacy, as well as fresh produce.


I met Sheri Imbach, who works for Three Farmers, at the Rinnovo Dinner at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market. She’s a keen cook who obviously loves to try her hand at a wide range of different dishes. She was so enthusiastic about the Asian Market.


She says, “I love all the amazing items such as the Honey Buns, Coconut Buns, Red Bean Paste Buns (my favorite). Party in my mouth! They have a butcher on site who cuts the thickest pieces of Pork Belly #spoiled. I love to purchase items for making Pho' or purchasing items like Gyoza, Siu Mai, and Lap Cheong (Chinese Sausage). The produce is great as well. I love the experience and the staff.”


Sheri thinks everyone should try one of the bakery items, so I had a Pineapple Bun and really enjoyed it (soft, sweet white bread is my idea of comfort food).


Sheri recommends that vegetarians try some of the rice noodles and soup bases. She makes vegetarian ‘pho with Kai-lan (Chinese broccoli), bean sprouts, and tofu with chili flakes. “They sell these amazing chili flakes in a jar that I add to everything,” she says.


I was fascinated by the wide variety of herbs and spices.


Honeysuckle can be used medicinally to get rid of a bad cough or to clear away toxic substances.


Dried lotus seeds can be used in a wide variety of ways. They can be popped and eaten like popcorn or used to treat insomnia.


I really want to try cooking with Jackfruit, and I’d like to try the Saba cooking bananas and the Calamansi fruit.


According to an article I read, Taiwan Pickled Seeds “are rarely available fresh outside of Southeast Asia. There they are known, loved, and used in ever so many ways.”


I definitely recommend visiting the Super Fresh Asian Market (516 Clarence Avenue South). As Sheri says, it’s almost as good as a trip to Vancouver!

Comments

Unknown said…
I shop here frequently, and stopped buying produce because it is never fresh. Apples shouldn't be brown inside the day you bought them...should they? Everything else is amazing though, so I keep coming back, just not for fresh produce.
Penny McKinlay said…
That's too bad,Sarah. Hopefully the situation will improve. They're still very new.
Anonymous said…
When you first walk into the store, what is that SPICE in the air? Can anyone identify it?

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux