The Cotswolds: Winchcombe


I'm looking after two cats for three weeks in Winchcombe, a small town near Cheltenham in Gloucestershire. I feel like I'm living in a picture postcard. There are centuries-old buildings and green rolling hills dotted with sheep. I hope that my photographs will give you a taste of Winchcombe.

I'm staying in the flat above The Cat's Whiskers


This is the view from my window of Winchcombe's High Street.

Winchcombe was a royal town in Saxon times, a pilgrimage centre in the Middle Ages, and a prosperous town in Victorian times.


Dent almshouses, 1865

St. Peter's Church has over 40 gargoyles, including a self-portrait of the stone mason himself.


King Offa of Mercia founded a nunnery here in 787


A number of long-distance footpaths radiate out from Winchcombe, and I enjoy walking along a quiet country lane much frequented by dog owners and runners.



The Cotswolds are renowned for their local food products and I'm eating extremely well. There are pubs and restaurants, cafes, a grocery store, a farm shop, and a delicatessen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux